Quins vs Llangadog


The Quins were unfortunate to come away with nothing to show for their endeavours in a match that did credit to Division 5 Rugby.

It was the visitors who threatened in the opening stages with Scrum Half and Captain Aled Jenkins causing problems with some probing runs.The Quins scrum though was a lot more secure than the previous week at New Dock Stars.and with Mike Davis and Joe Powell doing well in the lineouts the omens looked good for the Quins.But after 10 minutes the visitors struck when after sustained pressure Aled Jenkins forced his way over for a try to give his side the lead outside Half Matthew Bailey missed the conversion.The Quins though were soon back on the attack forcing a penalty which Outside Half Lewis Davies pushed wide of the uprights.The ball in play time was very high for a match of Division 5 standard which would have pleased any neutrals that were watching.Both defences were well on top as the half drew to a close,with very few tackles being missed by either side.

As the 2nd half started the Quins must have felt they were in with a great chance of pulling off their 5th league win of the Season.Some strong running by Centre Mark Roach was starting to cause the visitors problems and as the game progressed and neither side dominating the outcome was very much up in the air,but on the hour the Quins responded with a fine Try after another strong run from Mark Roach,Scrum Half Nathan George switched play to his right and after passing through three pairs of hands Right Winger Sam Richards did extremely well to score in the corner with very little room to work in.Lewis Davies missed the conversion.With the scores now locked at 5-5 it was anybodies game.The visitors were perplexed at the Quins score and went straight on the offensive and forced a penalty right in front of the posts Malcolm Bailey popped over the easy kick to give his side the lead.With just 15 minutes remaining the Quins were dealt  a blow when Hooker Jake Newman sustained what seemed a serious Knee injury.The game was held up for 30 minutes while the ambulance came.The Quins just 5-8 adrift were still in with a chance but it was the visitors who struck in the dying minutes when Left Wing Chris Davidson crossed for a fine Unconverted Try wide out to secure his side victory and cruelly take away a losing Bonus Point which the Quins deserved in probably the most entertaining match seen at Bierspool this Season.

As for Jake Newman his injury was not as bad as first feared and was soon back in the Clubhouse after treatment.

Next Week on St Davids Day the Quins are  away to near neighbours Neyland in an eagerly awaited local Derby.